We're hiring Primary Classroom Assistants!
Mountain Laurel Learning Cooperative is seeking talented and caring individuals to join its team. The Mountain Laurel Learning Center, located between Thomas and Davis, WV offers a Montessori-based education program for preschool and homeschool students through the age of 14.
Primary Classroom Assistant - Children aged 3-6: A two-year commitment is desired for this position. Applicants for this position require a high school diploma, with a desire to learn the Montessori philosophy. During the first year, the Assistant in Training will work closely with the classroom Guide, supporting and assisting learning activities and classroom management. S/he will agree to undertake training in the Montessori philosophy and pedagogy. Mountain Laurel Learning Cooperative will provide books and materials for training, but completion of lessons will be done on the applicant's time.
· Reinforce learning concepts presented by Guides
· Model respect
· Assist students with daily needs, i.e. washing hands, tying shoes
· Provide a welcoming and safe learning environment
· Prepare and develop teaching aids/materials
· Undertake individual study towards certification in Montessori philosophy and pedagogy
· Instruct and monitor students in the use and care of materials and equipment to prevent injuries and damage
· Organize and supervise games and other recreational activities to promote physical, mental and social development
· Organize and label teaching materials
· Laminate teaching materials to increase durability under repeated use
· Take attendance
· Distribute teaching materials to students
· Maintain the classroom environment/daily cleaning
Key Knowledge Areas preferred for the Assistant in Training:
Education and Training: Knowledge of basic Montessori principles and their application to individuals and small groups in a classroom setting; Childhood Development: basic knowledge of child development, behavior, performance and differences in ability. Must pass a background check.
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest and a current resume to the Cooperative Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org Letters accepted through August 1, 2019. Work will be Monday – Thursday 8:00am- 3:30pm. Compensation is hourly.
Mountain Laurel Learning Cooperative provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Mountain Laurel Learning Cooperative complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.